The L.E.A.R.N. Adoption Mission
L.E.A.R.N. volunteers conduct rigorous behavioral assessments on the Labs they commit to rescue. Our “100% foster home” structure ensures that our rescue learns a Lab’s personality before helping to match the Lab with the forever home. Knowing a Lab’s behaviors and quirks; interactions with other household animals, adults, and children; favorite activities; any special needs; and energy level all contributes to a successful match.
If you are willing to wait for the right fit between you and a Lab, you’ll help make sure everyone in your house and the Lab are happy. All the Labradors we take in — from adolescent to geriatric — need love, care, and a forever home. If you must adopt a dog immediately, then L.E.A.R.N. likely isn’t the right fit for you.
The L.E.A.R.N. Adoption Process
Because L.E.A.R.N. uses a process, described below, to match adopters and Labs, it may take several weeks for you to receive a possible Lab match. Here’s how our process works:
1. Adoption Application: Complete an adoption application. Once your application is submitted, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt. (If you don't receive the acknowledgement, please resubmit the application.)
2. Verification and Reference Check: A volunteer will email you to verify your continued interest in adopting from L.E.A.R.N. Your references are checked and a telephone interview will be conducted. Your application is then emailed to the board for final approval.
3. Lab Matching: Once an “approved adopter,” our volunteers begin matching your preferences with our foster dogs’ needs. Approved adopters are encouraged to review Labs on our website and express interest in a dog(s) to email@example.com. Sending an email about a specific Lab puts you on the “potential family list”; However, we are not able to guarantee you will be contacted about each dog you express interest in.
4. The Meet: After being matched with a dog, all of the potential adoptive family, including any dogs already in the home, meet the foster dog in the Foster Home. The foster Lab is not allowed to go home with the adoptive family on the same day. This gives the foster home and the adoptive family time to consider whether or not it is a good fit for the dog. The adoptive family may follow up with the foster home the next day with questions, and/or to discuss the next steps if everyone is in agreement that adoption is in the best interest of the dog.
5. Adoption: After accepting the match, the foster home and adoptive family schedule the adoption. The paperwork and other details typically take about an hour. You will receive a copy of the Adoption Agreement, the Foster Dog Information Form, Rabies Certificate, and copies of veterinary records. You pay the adoption fee. Please bring a leash and collar for you new family member.
6. Post Adoption Follow-Up: The Foster Home will contact you shortly after adoption to check-in. About 2 months after adoption, another L.E.A.R.N. volunteer will contact you to check-in and to see if you have any questions. Everyone at L.E.A.R.N. loves to hear updates about adopted Labs!
$400 – puppies up to 1 year, 11 months in age
$325 – dogs age 2 to 9 years
$200 – dogs 10 years and older
We are Grateful for your Donations!
If you don't have a PayPal account or would like to make a recurring monthly donation please click the donate button below:
If you prefer you can mail a donation to: 140 Simmons Avenue Box 323 Pewaukee, WI 53072
2020 Calendars are sold out!
Please submit your pictures for the 2021 calendar to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your support!
Follow L.E.A.R.N. on Facebook and Instagram